Limb Lengthening by LATN Method
In limb lengthening by LATN method, the inner nail with five or six screws is installed on the foot.
In the LATN method of limb lengthening, the osteotomy is performed first. We install the external fixator device from the outside, on the leg, or the thigh. When the extension is complete, we insert the inner nail into the tibia or femur. This internal nail is installed on the foot with five or six screws. Then we fix the lengthening place, so it does not shorten again. Then we remove the external fixator from the foot.
Supplementary information about Limb Lengthening by LATN Method:
In LATN limb lengthening surgery, before an osteotomy or bone incision, an external fixator is installed on the limb to increase bone length. The incision is then made on the bone. After surgery, lengthening begins.
LATN limb lengthening is a two-step method. First, an external fixator is installed. Lengthening occurs through this external fixator. The external fixator is removed after the volunteer reaches the desired lengthening, usually between 6 and 7 cm. The nail is then inserted into the tibia or femur.
The LATN method is suitable for people with a height below 150cm; therefore, if a peris son’s height exceeds 150cm, the LON method will be used.
Suggested to study: limb lengthening surgery by MTN method
Because there is no internal nail in this method, it is a little harder to walk and more challenging to adjust the osteotomy place during the distraction phase. The advantage of this method is that when the lengthening is completed, and the external fixator device is opened, a longer Nail is installed, eliminating the fiberglass requirement. While in the LON method, after the lengthening, the nail is shorter than the bone, and for this reason, fiberglass is used in that method.
This method is more common in people with very short heights. Because the length of the bone is so short that the nail cannot be installed inside it and should wait for lengthening and then install. We also have to use the LATN method in severe deformities.
LATN limb lengthening benefits:
- Because in this method, a longer nail can be placed inside the canal since the leg is longer, there is sufficient stability at the lengthening site and there is no need for fiberglass.
Important points in LATN limb lengthening surgery:
- The adherence of individual hygiene and also keeping the site of pain in pins clean is very important in the LATN method
- The next day, the volunteer will be visited by Dr. Motallebi Zadeh and after the first session of physical therapy by our colleagues in the hospital, he/she start walking with a walker.
- The volunteer will be discharged from the hospital after ultimately 48 hours.
- According to the training given to the volunteer, she should twist the additive screws four times a day, which is increased by a quarter of a millimeter each time, which is increased by one millimeter in one day.
- Based on the experiences of previous years, the maximum increase we have obtained in each bone is seven centimeters, and we believe in observing this limit.
- During the distraction phase, people are usually able to do their own work.
- After a week, the first visit session is performed by Dr. Motallebi Zadeh in the office and the lengthening is taught and the distraction phase begins.
- During the bone lengthening, we should keep in mind that the simultaneous increase of soft tissue length is the duty of the volunteer, which will be possible by performing regular and sufficient stretching exercises and physical therapy.
Suggested to study: limb lengthening surgery by LON method